In today's class we:
- Went through the answers to quiz 2.
- Looked at resignation letters
- Did a resignation letter writing task
- Compared letters and critiqued them
- Did a personal request letter writing task based on the sub-culture of base jumping
- Critiqued these letters and looked at the best examples
- Spent some time working on Saturday's presentations
Some interesting attempts at the request letter 'base-jumping' task.
There are a good combination of techniques used in the personal request letters below. I think the last one (Kalon's), though containing some coarse language, may be the most likely to have an impact in this situation (mainly because his parents and girlfriend have obviously already tried the caring/friendly request style face-to-face). Therefore, a more extreme style is the only thing likely to have an impact. (Though it is very unlikely that any request letter sent to Dan will get him to change his ways, just based on his extreme nature and addiction to his hobby).