In today's class we:
- Went through the answers to quiz 2 and confirmed the scores
- Watched this video comparing the scouse and cockney accent
- I set a task to be discussed in the next class:
Informal discussion on the advantages/disadvantages of different dialects of English:
Essay title- Would the world be better if there was 1 overall dialect of English? We are coming up with a mind map in our groups as if we were going to write this essay. We will then have a discussion in Thursday's class.Please think about the advantages and disadvantages of different dialects of English in the world and prepare to discuss it in Thursday’s class. You can work in groups.
· - Consider as many different features and factors as you can. You are welcome to place them in order of importance.
· - Would the world be better if there was 1 overall dialect of English? This is your main question to consider
· - Prepare an essay plan mind map to show to the class (you do not have to write the essay but you should prepare a mind map that shows you have thought of an outline)
· - On Thursday you will show your mind map and we will discuss it as a group and compare the different ideas of the groups
· - There will be no grade for this (it is informal) but you should still work together effectively
- We will go through this task on Thursday as well as a brief re-cap of the course in preparation for Saturday's exam